Monday, July 21, 2008

Ziggity Zag... part one

Now that my crim pro class is over, I finally have time to work on the zig zag quilt! I have had my fabric for over a month and it has been staring at me, begging for a little attention. I bought my goods at Purl Patchwork (of course!) when Boyfriend and I were in NYC in June. This was my original pallet:



Unfortunately, that turned out to look pretty spastic when I put it all together. I was going for two different color groups - the hot pinks (fabrics 1, 2, and 3 on your left) and the reds/light pinks (fabrics 4, 5, 6, and 7). I fabrics 1 and 2 are Amy Butler and 3 is a part of the Rowan Aviary Collection. I love all three..... and they completely wash out anything in the same color family. So... now I am left with random triangle/squares of the pink and reds. I'll figure something out, I'm sure.

Anyways, I brought most of my fabric home last weekend (I'm moving back one suitcase at a time so the final move in the Mazda isn't so very packed), but I had just enough to give me an idea of what I wanted to do instead of the reds: ORANGE. I'm using Joelle Hoverson's Net of Jewels in Carnelian. It is really beautiful fabric that I bought to make a dress out of... but it's going to a good cause, so I wont morn. I am going to my local quilt store (one of the only good establishments within walking distance) to see if I can find anything worthy to go along with the bedazzling fabric. Cross your fingers.

Okay, so after a night of cutting and pasting, here's what it's starting to look like:


You may have noticed that I didn't zig-zag the white... I am leaving that portion "clean" so I can embroider the baby's name and birthday when she's born. I am hoping to have a bit extra - this is for the aforementioned quasi-niece's baby sister, due to arrive in October - to make a big sister blanket too.

I am really excited to see what kind of personality this blanket takes on. I haven't decided what to do with the binding yet or whether I want to do a border (I have a stock piled of minky with the bumps in white and light pink and you KNOW the babies love it). I was thinking about a border but I'm not so sure... We shall see.

In any case, I'm off to bed. I finally finished a memo today I had been working on for a couple of weeks. Too little case law on the real basis of the inquiry, too much on the underlying substantive contract law. Blegh. My head is swimming due to my late arrival last night and my apparent obsession with torture (as I hit the 5 minute snooze button on two different alarms more than 5 times a piece this am) and the memo. It's better I put down the rotary cutter and back away.

Good night!

No comments: