Thursday, July 2, 2009

Happy Birthday Misha! (I actually sewed for this one!)

I went up to Michigan last weekend to celebrate my niece's 1st birthday. That's code for "I ate 3 cupcakes a day for a totally valid reason." I always have trouble figuring out what to get 1-year olds. Clothes are always a good fall back, but I wanted to give Misha something special. So, I decided to only get her presents that relate to me. Her favorite Aunt. How selfless.

I present to you, the Parade of Presents
There are knitting and Sewing FOs at the bottom for all of you who don't care much for the other stuff. (:

Woolbur, by Leslie Helakoski
I would describe this book as the on about the A.D.H.D. black sheep (literally) of the family. This also happens to be how I would describe myself (the A.D.H.D. being the literally portion in this instance, as I am not an actual farm animal). Woolbur is an awesome book about parents trying to figure out their "free spirited" son who does things like card his own wool.... while it is still connected to his body. And playing with the sheep dogs instead of being scared of them. Highly suggested. It's more of a 3 or 4-year old appropriate book, though, as it has LOTS of words. I ordered from Amazon, so I didn't realize.


Different Like Coco, by Elizabeth Matthews

As a semi-proud holder of a B.A. in Fashion Business, I find Coco Chanel's story to be one of remarkable female entrepreneurship and fashion innovation. I hope that Misha is equally inspired by Coco's story.... and I hope that she is a total clothes horse so we can shop together someday. She's going to have to stop using her dresses as food catchers and drool bibs before we go anywhere near Chanel, though. A good thing, since I currently can't even afford Target, and this will give me some time to find a very lucrative career.

Knitting Nell, by Julie Jersild Roth

This book is relevant for obvious reasons. Not going to lie - and thanks the the 1st Amendment, I don't have to - I didn't like this book. Amazon didn't tell me I wouldn't like it. I'm upset about the lack of 1985/Big Brother technology involved with online book ordering.



Pattern:
Oliver + S
Tea Party Sundress and Bloomers

Fabric:
Net of Jewels (orange) by Joelle Hoverson
Cake Rock Beach (green dots) by Joelle Hoverson
No idea about the sea shells. I tried.
All fabrics purchased at Purl Soho





This pattern was super easy to follow and the instructions are idiot proof - meaning I was only slightly challenged. Liiiiiiike with the seam allowances. I happened to make them 1/4 instead of 1/2. It was only a problem when she put it on and it was huge, which is why I don't have pictures of her in it. My ego came out unscathed, though, as everyone loved the outfit.

Pattern: Elija by Ysolda Teague
Materials: Malabrigo Worsted (almost the entire skein) in Blue Stone
Time: Less than a week, probably 8 hours of work in total.

This pattern called for a much finer yarn and smaller needles, which I disregarded. We (my family) calls this little animal Ellie. As long as I am with my niece I require her to hold it. I call it forced attachment therapy. Anyway, the pattern was super easy to read. So super easy, in fact, that this was actually my second go at it. Here is my first:

Sorry for the crappy cell phone picture. I finished it as we were driving to the baby to whom it now belongs. I used the correct needle size and yarn weight (left over Bliss Cashmerino) this time. It was lovely and very well received.

Well, now I am working on a lace shawl. I am really bad at lace shawls, primarily because of my Woolbur like qualities (see book 1 description). But we'll see how it goes. I am making it for a wedding, though I don't know if the bride will like it, and I don't know if I feel comfortable giving a gift for use on the wedding day. Seems a bit pushy. What are your thoughts? I'd really like to know.

2 comments:

Krista Seidl said...

As a bride-to-be, I feel entitled to speak for all in saying that handmade objects are the best kinds of gifts.

Shalet said...

What wonderful gifts. A lucky girl indeed!