Friday, July 31, 2009

Selfish.

Something has come over me in the last week. Something ugly, unexpected, and totally not the norm. For the last week I have become a most selfish knitter. I have socks to finish for my dad's birthday, a wedding shawl that I wanted to have done by now, and the sweater I was making for my mom's holiday present that needs only about 3 inches of trim sewn on. And what do I do? I go and cast on for a new sweater for little old ME.

It all started when I decided to get a KnitScene last week.... which corresponded with the first painful knitting experience I ever had. See, between the lace shawl and the socks on size 0 needles, my hand - the part that runs from my pinkie to my wrist - has started to get crampy. So I decided that, while I couldn't stop knitting (G-d forbid I'd take a break), I could relieve the pain and still scratch my knitting itch by making something out of thicker yarn and bigger needles. And oh shucks. KnitScene answered the question of "but what?!" I actually started by casting on for this guy:



But I relized that I was making yet another project that I seriously would not wear. Ever. Even though it's adorable, it would just sit in my closet until I gave it to my sister. And I was feeling selfish. Remembering that I still have a billion skeins of Beverslide Dry Goods McTaggart Tweed, I searched the ravelry database for something I would wear. And what do you know. It was in my new Knit Scene.

Pattern: Heather Hoodie Vest
Designer: Debbie O'Neill
Source: KnitScene, Fall 2009
Fiber: Beaverslide Dry Goods McTaggart Tweed
Color: Oatmeal-ish
For: Moi.
Size: 35


It's going to look like this:

This thing is knitting up quite fast - which I love. And, I should add, quite painlessly. The amount I have done so far was completed with less than a skien of yarn. Kind of amazing. But here is the problem. Now I want to knit more for me. Here is what I have on tap for fall.

Pattern: Minimissimi Sweater Coat
Fiber: Malabrigo Worsted in Paris Night

<span class=

Pattern: Old Penny Cardigan (Interweave Knits, Fall 2008)
Fiber: Berroco Ultra Alpaca in Peat Mix

<span class=

I'm not showing a picture because all I can find are Flickr photos that have all rights reserved and I'm too lazy to ask permission. See? Selfish. To a fault. This is the sweater that makes me want to knit the pattern.

In unselfish news, here is an update on my dad's birthday socks. I'm trying to leave you without the bitter taste of self interest.

<span class=

<span class=

TGIF.

2 comments:

Sarah {The Student Knitter} said...

Wow, your vest is looking fabulous! Your blog is really lovely and I think I'll come back and visit more often. :)

Shelly said...

So that's how the cables are supposed to look..very nice Heather Hoodie Vest. I'm about 12 inches along on mine with, ahem, several cable mistakes.