Friday, October 10, 2008

Sadness, an FO, and a new/old spinning wheel.

I have been home (at my parents in Wisconsin) for the last few days. My Great Aunt Evelyn, the most quick-witted, giggly 96 year old I ever met, fell on Wednesday night. This is highly irregular for her, so I raced back to Green Bay as quickly as I could. Other than a nasty bump on her head, Evelyn didn't complain Thursday morning, but told me she "bled like a pig" and about how bummed she was about the Brewers. That was at 10 am. We got a call 5 hours later that she fell again and was unresponsive. I held her hand and kissed her forehead as she took her last breath at 6:10pm. She was born in 1912, 70 plus years before I was, but we were kindred spirits and girlfriends of the best kind. I am happy she didn't feel any pain, but am feeling really quite empty without her here. Being 96, I can't say she died "suddenly," but it was certainly unexpected... as all eyes have been on my Grandma as she has slowly been slipping away for the last two weeks. I thought that Evelyn would surely outlive me, and I am beyond sad that I have lost my pen pal, my friend, and a very inspiring woman.

Today was spent sorting through her wishes and all that goes with that. I went down to my parent's basement to find a death certificate for my Grandpa for one of the many forms I filled out today and found this:








F00t pedal.

I remember this being in my Aunt's house when I was little..... being intrigued by the fact that no one actually seemed to use it, but yet Evelyn kept it. And now I know why. Fate. Somehow she knew that I would be an obsessive knitter who wanted to try spinning but who was perplexed as to how I would spin with no wheel! 40 years ago she knew! (Soul mates, I'm telling you).

But now for the serious question: Anyone know what the deal is with this? Can I really spin on it? It is roughly 105 years old, but really pretty sturdy. What do you all think of this?

Okay, and now how about two FO's (Of the same project, though)? My spirits are lower than low, but you should know that I do love this pattern. I just don't feel like talking about it now.

I present: Habitat by Jared Flood

My Dad - Sporting Habitat, texturized to the max by Manos Del Uruguay


Me, in Habitat, made from the stash champion of the world: Cascade 220

I shouldn't be blogging right now. This is like drunk dialing... but... with mourning and blogging. I love the pattern. I'm going to leave it right there for now. That was pretty much all the enthusiasm I could muster.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

I'm sorry to hear about your aunt. Sounds like she was a real firecracker.