Monday, October 20, 2008

Evidence of "And Sews, Too"... but still a knitting FO

Well well well.  Look who's been finishing some objects.  After I wrote the last post about my Great Aunt, my Grandmother died the very next day.  I am greatful that her journey here is done, as she had a hard life, and a harder death.  However, two deaths in three days put a bit of a damper on my willingness to put law school before family and my own happiness last week.  Which is not good.  Not good at all... at least for my list of homework to-do.  

It has been good, however, for my crafting and the beneficiaries of my crafting.  So here are two FOs!  One sewing (gasp) and one knitting.  We'll start with the sewing.

Since law school started back up, I've really turned my back on my sewing machine.  Not because I don't want to sew, but because I can't read cases and sew at the same time.  Well, I haven't actually tried... but I'm certain if I tried I'd have some mangled fingers and ugly projects.

But last night, after 11 hours of trial team practice, I found out that great friends of mine were at the hospital to deliver their second baby girl.  WTF.  My crafting schedule had them pegged for a  late October delivery.  This was tragic.  I obviously couldn't knit the baby something in a matter of hours, so I broke out the most wonderful baby projects book:  Amy Butler's Little Stitches for Little Ones.

Presenting:  The Snuggly Baby Wrap
Fabric:  Alexander Henry Zoo and White Minky
Time: About 1.5 hours
For: Baby Greenfield



















I'm not sure what to write about it except that I think this is the first project that I've made that I am completely happy with.... !!! ... My stitching was even, the pattern was clear, I didn't make a mistake (amazing) and I learned something (how to make a button hole) without even ruining the project!  Super cute.  I made a 0-3 month size, but there are 3-6 instructions as well.  Do it.

AND a knitting FO!?  Yes.  The world is upside down.  I finally FINALLY finished the socks I cast on in late June.  Boyfriend has been waiting for these big time and was so excited to finally be able to wear them.

Presenting:  Mr. Pitt Socks
Fiber:  Koigu KPPM Merino (2.5 Skeins)
Size: Man sized
Time it took: Too long










I'm not a sock maker.  Working with sock weight yarn is, for me, like painting a room with a watercolor brush.  I need results.  I need them fast.  I found out, through this project, that I am not made to make socks.  All that aside, this is a really great pattern for a guy who has no interest in cables or anything remotley fancy.  The pattern is super clear, FREE, and the FO is gorgeous.  I learned, first, what the eff a gusset is, and then learned how to make a gusset from this pattern.  I'm glad to know and I'm glad that I know now to never make a sock again.  Or two for that matter.

Okay, time to crack the books.  Happy Monday to you all.

3 comments:

Krista Seidl said...

Al, that baby wrap is super cute. One of my girlfriends has a bebe on the way and I've been brainstorming gifts -- I need to check out Amy Butler's book.

By the way, do you have any advice on where to look for fabric?

VSJensen said...

Your wrap is very cute! I've been wanting to make one for my newborn son, but didn't want to do anything that took too long to finish... thanks for letting us know that it's a fairly quick project! I think I'll give it a try! Congrats to the new baby & family...

Anonymous said...

Your comment above suggests to me that you are able to KNIT and read cases, which blows my mind - that is definitely a skill that I need to acquire.

Beautiful wrap!