Monday, September 1, 2008

Adventures in Color Work... oh, yeah... and Law School

Wow. The last two weeks have been a little bit crazy. I started back to law school on Wednesday the 20th. I, nor anyone else I know, was no where NEAR being ready for that. But we will deal. How, you ask? I will knit to deal with the pain of 40 pound back packs, 12 hours of studying, and the excruciating pain of waiting for a call for an interview... (I have so many projects going that I have to designate each to a day and knit on my way to and from class).

So the first day of class, a week and a half ago, I re-cast on Eunny Jang's Deep V Argyle Vest. I had done about 9 inches previously when I realized that my gauge was right if I were making the vest for a 7 year old. I am using Debbie Bliss Cashmerino (still of the Cursed Yarn lot), a sport weight, and started off with size 3 needles in a size 32. WRONG. I played with my gauge and found that size 5 needles in the size 36 pattern would be best. So there I went. As of Friday morning I had about 8 inches done.


lumpy bumpy color work

My hands were VERY busy this weekend, however, and as of this morning I am about 4 inches away from finished with the initial knit up. (:

Ooh La-La... So curvy!

I have never done this kind of color work before and, as you saw here, steeking is almost always involved with color work in the round. I decided to follow the CORRECT WAY to do it this time, setting up stabilizer rows, decreasing in the correct direction around the steeks, and basically being a professional about it instead of an ill-prepared knitter. This garment is also has lots of shape to it. Decreases for the waist, increases for the bust... it should be pretty fly. (: I have to say, I am really excited to get this done and wear it. I will post pictures ASAP, of course.

I also started my sister's holiday sweater, which of course, I can't post pictures of. ): I am very sad about this as I LOVE the colors. Okay, I'll post colors. She's a new mother and full-time teacher... she probably doesn't read this anyways. (:

The depth of the dye in these yarns is really amazing. I wish I could get a better picture of the blue-green... but these will have to do.
Berroco Ultra Alpaca Light

Last knitting thing: I started and finished these booties from Last Minute Knitted Gifts.


I cannot say enough about the awesome quality and aesthetic of Joelle's book. Get it, get it, get it.

Well, off to do homework for Con Law II and Trial Ad. I am trying to stay one week ahead at all times to keep the pressure off and make this semester more enjoyable. So far it's working. I got a job offer from a Judge last week to be his intern. All I have to do now is pass the drug test and I will start next week. I also have trial team try outs on Friday. Yikes.

No comments: